We extended our services to include metal injection moulding (MIM) to meet the customer requirements for high volume, low piece price production of small intricate components.
Metal injection moulding process offers many advantages including:
- Production of complex and intricate shapes
- Low piece price for high volume production
- Excellent dimensional accuracy
- Exceptional surface finish
- Machining generally eliminated
- Consistency and repeatability
- High part integrity
The MIM process is most suitable for high volume, small intricate components that require excellent dimensional accuracy and surface finish.
The process is capable and our services include to the following:
- Materials include stainless and carbon steel alloys
- Cast surface roughness: 0.8Ra to 1.6Ra
- Weight capabilities: 1g to 700g
- Size capabilities: 1mm to 140mm
- General cast tolerances: +/-0.1mm (small), +/-0.2mm (bigger part)
- ISO 9001 approvals
- Consistent lead times with stockholding options
- A wide range of finish options including painting, polishing, plating, anodizing and more
- Heat treatment, machining, assembly options
- 3D design support
- Wide market applications: oil & gas, automotive, aerospace, rail and more
More detailed material information and specifications here.
MIM Process Explained
MIM is an automated process using high grade metal powder which is compressed under high pressure in steel tooling to create the component shape. The “green” parts are then passed through a furnace under a controlled atmosphere to produce the finished part, the accuracy of the process generally negates the need for post machining.
- A two part steel tool is cut directly from the 3D CAD data
- Metal powder injected into the tool
- Powder is compressed under hydraulic pressure
- “Green” part is “sintered”
- Heat treatment and other post processes as required