The Benefits of Metal Injection Moulding
For sectors or industries in need of high-volume small parts, Metal Injection Moulding (MIM) is ideal, being cost-effective and producing intricate, complex parts with a great level of accuracy.
Dependant on shape, another benefit of metal injection moulding is that it’s able to replace a set or assembly of two or more parts with a single MIM part, cutting the cost of producing different parts, assembling and machining them.
Metal injection moulding process offers many advantages including:
- Production of complex and intricate shapes
- Low piece price for high volume production
- Excellent dimensional accuracy
- Exceptional surface finish
- Machining generally eliminated
- Consistency and repeatability
- High part integrity
Metal Injection Moulding Capabilities
The process is capable and our services include to the following:
- Materials include stainless and carbon steel alloys
- Cast surface roughness: 0.8Ra to 1.6Ra
- Weight capabilities: 1g to 700g
- Size capabilities: 1mm to 140mm
- General cast tolerances: +/-0.1mm (small), +/-0.2mm (bigger part)
- ISO 9001 approvals
- Consistent lead times with stockholding options
- Heat treatment, machining, assembly options
- 3D design support
- Wide market applications: oil & gas, automotive, aerospace, rail and more
More detailed material information and specifications here.
Metal Injection Moulding Process Explained
The process of MIM was first developed in the 1970s by Raymond Wiech in the US, but it has only been used commercially in the last twenty years. A completely different manufacturing process to die-casting and similar to the moulding process used for plastic parts, MIM compresses fine metal powder particles under high pressure in steel tooling to create the component shape. The “green” parts are then passed through a furnace under a controlled atmosphere to produce the finished part. The accuracy of the process generally negates the need for post machining.
- A two part steel tool is cut directly from the 3D CAD data
- Metal powder injected into the tool
- Powder is compressed under hydraulic pressure
- “Green” part is “sintered”
- Heat treatment and other post processes as required
Enquire with Dean Group for Metal Injection Moulding
For more information regarding our metal injection moulding services, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us today. Contact us by phone on 0161 775 1633 or by sending an email with your enquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, fill out and submit our quick online contact form.